It was exciting to hear that Arata Isozaki was named the 2019 Pritzker Prize Laureate. I enjoyed working with him and his architectural team as the site designer for Columbus, Ohio’s COSI (Center for Science and Industry) on the Scioto Peninsula. He is the 46th individual to receive the annual international award, often referred to as “architecture’s Nobel Prize” and “the profession’s highest honor. Congratulations Arata!
Terrific project updates in 2019 include:
- In-The-Loop, a public art piece in Des Moines’ East Village was completed earlier this year and featured in local media coverage as well as DSM magazine.
- Dows Farm an innovative agri-community continues to move through the design and development process. It will be the first community in Iowa to integrate a working organic farm with a series of diverse neighborhoods while preserving half of the site as a conservation environment. I will be presenting the project at two Urban Land Institute events this summer.
- Mills public art and city park in Millford will be dedicated in July. It features a heavy timber structure, digital imagery of water and unique stone work.
- Petra’s Place, a downtown pocket park in Fairfield, Iowa will be completed this summer/fall and will help host RAGBRAI as it makes a stop in Fairfield.
- Retail and corporate master plans as well as main street, streetscape, urban park and public art projects are in the early stages of design and discussion.
In 2019, Dennis and Mister Cotton will again be sharing their thoughts on the design process and how to help others succeed, at multiple conferences and gatherings including the Iowa Downtown conference. Dennis brings over 30 years of experience as a design leader/facilitator in award winning, international design firms. He works with a wide range of groups (sizes, types, locations…) as he shares and coaches designers from multiple disciplines.